Pages

Thursday 2 February 2012

Design & the Market: Guest Speaker Emma Walker.

Yesterday morning Emma Walker CEO of Craft Scotland was a guest speaker in my Design & the Market lecture. She gave a very motivational talk, telling us a brief history about her life, her achievements in work and how we too can be a success. By the end it made me feel as though anything was possible.  

One of the areas she talked about that I found most interesting was about ‘branding yourself’. This is something I’ve been thinking about for a while now but I’m just not sure where to start. She gave a few pointers that will hopefully help; firstly ‘your brand is your personality’ sounds easy enough but I just need to figure out how to sum my personality up! Who is my market? Who is my network? How do I speak with them? Are a few questions she suggests we answer to focus the brand, hopefully by keeping this blog and using twitter I have already answered one of the questions. However ‘Me’ as a brand definitely needs more work!

‘Who’s your audience?’ was the main focus. Knowing your audience helps you create the right network of people, and pitch yourself and your work accordingly.  If you’re not talking to the right people it’s useless. I really liked when she said “don’t apologise for your work” it gave me confidence. Sometimes I feel that I should be creating things that will gain the approval of others. She made me think that if I’m happy with it then that’s all that matters there will be an audience for me somewhere.

After the lecture I left feeling quite excited and ready to do! I’ve started mocking up some business card designs so I will be prepared to put my “brand in their hand” when the opportunity arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment