The Values and Lifestyles (VALS) tool group’s people who share similar aspirations and interests, it looks at people’s status and income.
VALS2 is slightly different categorising people depending on their moral stance and they way they relate to the world around them. Below is the VALS 2 table.
My team got together to try to change the message for several products and services according to the Social Value groups we’d chosen. Here’s what we came up with…
- An advert showing them how their life could be when they’re older. A retired couple enjoying their well kept home could be a possible ad.
- Someone in a cosy, safe house having friends over.
- An image of the perfect family should be created for this group. A big house nice car, family standing outside house. The neighbours would be peering over the fencing showing that this family is envied by others.
- This picture would show everyone on the street being the same. Houses all in a row exactly the same, grass cut, similar cars pulling up to the houses with similar happy families getting out and going into their home.
- A savings account that would help them reach the financial targets they need so they can buy that new exciting first time product/holiday/extreme sport.
- For people who will be saving long term. An elderly couple enjoying their retirement holidaying in the sun.
- This group will be saving for fun with friends. Showing them enjoying holidays with friends, going out for expensive meals and generally having good times with other fun people.
Online Grocery Store
- Too busy with life to go to the supermarket so show this is the ideal site for them. Perhaps an advert where they are hanging out with friends when the door bell rings. They don’t hear the door but as their friends are leaving in the early hours of the morning they notice a box of groceries at the door and the customer is happy.
- Show that they don’t have to leave the house. They don’t have to deal with the crowds at the supermarket, or bumping into people they don’t want to. They can order their shopping from the tranquillity of their own home.
- Show them why they should vote.
- Voting will help make the changes needed to help your country be first and be the best.
- See that their neighbour recycles they will then recycle too. Methods to get the whole street to recycle will ensure the contented conformer will join in.
- Show that they will be first to make the difference. New techniques or websites for recycling may get them interested.
- Recycling could be a social activity that they can be involved in. They may be impressed by the creative products that can be achieved through the use of recycled items.
A Lift Share Service
- They’ll meet new people it’s a social event.
- Lift sharing would be a chance for them to show off to their peers. They will have a set time to brag, show others their new car or sample how good their colleague’s car is in comparison.
- Enjoying a day out with friends at a museum. Make the social aspects of the museum attract them such as the cafes, the shop and the fact that you can meet people there.
- The quiet, relaxing, informative side to the museum will appeal to the disconnected group. Also letting them know that it’s a place where you can be comfortable being alone.
- The new technology will attract them as well as telling them they will be first and fastest.
- They will want this for social networking with ease and connecting with friends and family all over the world.
- All the neighbours come together to create a safer neighbourhood. Together they will all be watching.
- They will do this to keep their neighbourhood the same and make sure there is nothing or no-one standing out wildly.
- Flying to see friends and family in exotic places. It’s the experience that matters not the price of the flight.
- Trying new foods, taking new things home should entice this group to buy an international flight to be the first to visit a far off land.
- Learn new but traditional skills.
- Keep skills alive. Relive the past.
A Local Newspaper
- Keep up with local news and local social events.
Disconnected:Keep them up to date with outside world with out having to leave the house.