Pages

Tuesday 27 September 2011

New School Year New DJCAD.

I’ve been back at uni for 2 weeks now and 3rd year has started off as it probably will continue being, busy, busy, busy! Before the summer holidays we were told that there were going to be a lot of changes. A few people weren’t too keen on these but so far I think it’s all been for the best.

My course has moved studios from level 5 up to level 8 of the Matthew building. We’ve got new desks, comfy chairs and a lot more light which creates a better environment for working.



The course has been structured a little more than previous years so we have less time to ourselves and a ‘Google Calendar’ to map out every hour of each day. So far this has not been a problem, as I know what’s going on throughout the week it helps me use my time wisely…well I hope I’m using it wisely! I+ED have set up life drawing classes with Reinhard Behrens every week to keep our drawing skills strong. As computers are being used more and more these days’ basic drawing skills can be lost or forgotten about. We have also been allocated workshop time! Last year we had a furniture project and got the chance to build something as a group, this year we will get the chance to do this again. The department have put on classes for us which start in a couple of weeks which will see us making a chair by the end of the semester. I think this is amazing! I wasn’t that comfortable in the workshop during the project last year but really enjoyed the final outcome I’m hoping that getting the chance to be back there making something will increase my confidence and skills.

 Rocking Chair -designed & built last year.



Our main project in the studio this semester is part of an international competition called GIDE (Group for International Design Education). The students from the universities involved all design something according to the brief then a select few are asked to present their work at the workshop which will be held at DJCAD this year. The universities involved are from Dundee, Leeds, Magdeburg, Ljubljana, Milan, Mechelen and Switzerland. I’m looking forward to the workshop and meeting the students although I’m a little disappointed that this is the year we’re not visiting another city and university. At the moment the workshop seems far away and I’m currently stressed trying to think up the perfect idea for the project… more on this work in another post.

This year for the first time students were given the chance to select the module they wanted to study. This is a better idea as students won’t feel forced to study something they have no interest in.  I chose the 'Cultures and Practices of Advertising and Branding'. I’ve always been interested in advertising and at one point thought of it as a possible career. The lectures have been interesting so far and I’ve had the chance to get to know people from other courses. Hopefully by the end of the semester I’ll have the mind of Don Draper! 

No comments:

Post a Comment